The Max Planck Institute of Plant Breeding Research in Cologne is one of the world’s premier sites committed to research of fundamental processes and training in plant biology using a wide range of methods including molecular genetics, genomics, imaging, computational biology and biochemistry. The MPIPZ accommodates four science departments, several independent research groups and specialist support, totaling ca. 400 staff including externally funded positions.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated IT-Manager (m/f/d) for the earliest possible date and with an initial contract for two years.
- Management of the IT service group (currently 6 persons) incl. coordination of requests and orders
- Planning, conception and development of the Institute’s central IT infrastructure
- Responsibility for IT security at our Institute, including redundant firewall
- Support and development of the local computer clusters and network
- Responsibility for the efficient and proper provision of a powerful and modern IT infrastructure
- Support and development of our central storage systems (SAN technologies)
- Problem analysis and troubleshooting in the entire server and desktop computing environment (MacOS, Linux, Windows), including network
- Support in the conception and planning of science-related IT and flexibility to support and enable research activity
- Support of Database environments
- Optimizing High computing performance
- Planning of our Institute’s general computing environment, including the core network and cross-institute coordination of computer connections
- Continual market observation and analysis of the IT sector in order to implement science-oriented IT concepts as well as planning and implementation of the IT budget
- Participation in the activities within the MPGs IT community
- Coordination of all IT procurement activities at the Institute, including applications for internal and external funding schemes to support the financing of the IT infrastructure and expert support in tendering
- Cooperation with our Bioinformaticians and the linked cluster
- Advanced degree in computer science or related subject
- Very good knowledge of the concept, design and operation of heterogeneous IT landscapes
- Several years of professional experience, ideally in a scientific environment
- Sound knowledge of current server operating systems (Windows, UNIX, LINUX)
- Experience in network technologies (virtual networks, routers, firewalls)
- A high degree of security awareness and user friendliness
- Good knowledge of the English language for communication in an international research environment and for negotiations and presentations
We are looking for
An open-minded, motivated person with a high degree of service and team leading experience, as well as strong communication skills, can-do spirit, assertiveness and planning competence. Experience in team leadership is an advantage.
- Possibilities to expand a modern service desk with latest IT technologies
- A high degree of responsibility in a top-level and challenging international scientific work environment
- A highly motivated team with modern tools and approaches
We offer an attractive setting in a brand new and friendly work environment, an ambitious team, excellent infrastructure, as well as interesting and varied tasks. Your salary will be based on your qualification and follow recommendations of TVöD Bund. Social benefits correspond with those of the public service.
The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore explicitly invited to apply. The Max Planck Society is striving to employ more severely disabled persons; they are explicitly invited to apply.
We are looking forward to receiving your full and comprehensive application by 15th September, 2022. Please send your documents via our application portal. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.