Lise Meitner Groups
Portrait of the first nine Lise Meitner Group Leaders and their research projects
Free scientific development, long-term career security and clear career prospects - these are the cornerstones of the Lise Meitner Excellence Program. In 2018, the MPG launched the four-year pilot phase of the program. Almost 300 candidates seized the opportunity to apply for Group Leader positions.
The applicants for the first call came from 42 countries; 74 percent were EU citizens and the remaining 26 percent came from non-EU countries. Candidates underwent a competitive selection process, conducted by a committee of national and international experts from various fields. Thirty-one highly qualified applicants were invited to give a personal presentation at a selection symposium. The Max Planck Society appointed twelve brilliant young female scientists on the basis of their impressive research successes to date and their demonstrably strong potential.