The KWS attracts new sponsors. The Harnack Medal is endowed

1924

original
Photo: Harnack Medal, Archives of the Max Planck Society.

In 1924 the KWS bestowed the Harnack Medal to honour individuals who rendered special services to the Society. The tradition is continued to this day with the medal having been awarded 32 times. Its introduction was the expression of a growing professionalism being brought into the KWS’s management by Secretary General Friedrich Glum, who had been systematically canvassing for new members since 1924 and who ultimately tripled the Society’s membership by 1930. Not only did this open up new sources of funding for the KWS, it also facilitated access to new networks. The Senate grew in number as a result, and the KWS published annual reports on its activities from 1924 onwards.

Go to Editor View