Born on April 20, 1954 in Essen. Study of chemistry in Bochum, doctorate at the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung (1982), postdoc Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA (1984), head of the corrosion group Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung (1987), German Habilitation in physical chemistry at Düsseldorf Univ. (1992), Full Professor University of Erlangen (1994), Director and Scientific Member at the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung (since 2000). Amongst others, he was awarded the Otto Hahn Medal of the Max Planck Society, the UR Evans Award of the Institute of Corrosion, the HH Uhlig Award of the Electrochemical Society which also appointed him a “Fellow”. He is member in the board of trustees of the Karl-Winnacker-Institut of the DECHEMA, as well as a member of Acatech (National Academy of Science and Engineering) and the Academy of Science and Art of North Rhine-Westphalia. From 2008 to 2014, he served as the Vice President of the Chemistry, Physics and Technology Section of the Max Planck Society. Since June 2014, Martin Stratmann has been President of the Max Planck Society.