The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science is an independent, non-profit research organization. It is a registered association in Berlin.
The Max Planck Society was founded in February 1948 – the successor organization to the Kaiser Wilhelm Society, which was established in 1911. The Senate decides on the admission of new Supporting Members by statute. Assessments are held by the Selection Committee on suitable individuals, companies and institutions. These are then invited to submit their application to become a Supporting Member.
The Selection Committee consists of five representatives from important committees and bodies:
Presidium: Prof. Dr. Angela D. Friederici (Vice President for the Human Sciences Section), Chair of the Selection Committee
Senate: Dr. Stefan von Holtzbrinck (Chairman of the Management Board Holtzbrinck Publishing Group)
Personal Supporting Members: Hans-Jakob Haniel
Corporative Supporting Members: Dr. Siegfried Dais (Former Deputy Chair of the Executive Board of Robert Bosch GmbH, Associate of Robert Bosch Industrietreuhand KG)
Administrative Headquarters: Rüdiger Willems (Secretary General)