Born on 23.07.1949 in Berlin. Study of chemistry and physics (1969-1974) and diploma in Chemistry (1974) FU Berlin, doctorate (1977) and habilitation in Organic Chemistry (1982), Research Fellow UC San Diego Physics Dept. (1983-1984), Prof. Organic Chemistry FU Berlin (1986), Prof. Experimental Physics Univ. Stuttgart (1989), Professor of Physical Chemistry TU Berlin (1991), Director and Scientific Member at the Max Planck Institute for Radiation Chemistry (2000) - since 2003 MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry. Honorary Professor at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf. Born at 23. July 1949 in Berlin. From 1969-1974 study of Chemistry and Physics at the FU Berlin; 1977 Promotion (Dr. rer. nat.) at the FU Berlin; 1982 Habilitation in Organic Chemistry at the FU Berlin. From 1983-1984 Research Fellow at the UC San Diego; 1986-1989 Assoc. Professor for Organic Chemistry at the FU Berlin; 1989-1991 Assoc. Professor of Experimental Physics at the University of Stuttgart; 1991-1999 Professor for Physical Chemistry at the Max-Volmer-Institute of the TU Berlin. Since 2000 Honorary Professor at the Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf and also since 2000 Director und Scientific Member at the Max Planck Institute for for Chemical Energy Conversion (2003-2012 MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry, before 2003 MPI for Radiation Chemistry).
Wolfgang Lubitz has been honored with a number of awards, including the Gold Medal of the International EPR Society (2005), as Fellow of ISMAR (International Society of Magnetic Resonance) (2010) and as Foreign Member of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan (2012).