The last Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes join the MPG

1953

original
Photo: The Institute for Cell Physiology and Physics in Berlin-Dahlem, 1940s, Archives of the Max Planck Society.

By the end of the war there were only two institutes left in Berlin. The city’s special status meant that the two institutes which had remained there joined the Max Planck Society much later. When they finally did, this largely concluded the integration of the remainders of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society into the MPG. The return of staff members who had been prisoners of war and the start of the economic miracle also boosted the reconstruction of science in the MPG, whose institutes slowly became fit to work again. However, Berlin’s role would not be comparable to that which it had played in the Kaiser Wilhelm Society

Go to Editor View