Born 14.06.1950, full professor of physics at the Institute of Optics, Information and Photonics of the University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Since 2009 scientific member of the Max Planck Society and director at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light. Member of the Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, German Physical Society, European Physical Society, German Society of Applied Optics, Optical Society of America, Institute of Physics (London), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. More than 200 publications in scientific journals and editor of 3 books. 2005 he obtained the Quantum Electronics and Optics Prize of the European Physical Society.