The Berlin Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes are relocated
The German troops found themselves in increasingly dire straits from 1943 onwards, and air raids on the cities grew in intensity. The worsening war situation also became palpable in the Kaiser Wilhelm Society itself. Almost all institutes were moved from Berlin in 1943 owing to the threat of bombing raids on the city. They found temporary accommodation in the West and South-West of Germany. The KWI for Physics moved to Hechingen and Haigerloch; the KWI for Biochemistry went to Tübingen. Following a heavy bomb attack on the Berlin Palace, administrative headquarters also moved its offices to Göttingen. Bomb damage and the loss of staff restricted research even further.