The Institutes in Italy are impounded
The Armistice on 11 November 1918 brought the First World War to an end for Germany. Within a few days of this date, the KWS’s two Italian institutes were impounded. The Bibliotheca Hertziana in Rome was only able to resume its research in 1920. The marine biology research station in Rovigno continued to operate under Italian leadership and did not return to the KWS until 1931 when it was the German-Italian Institute for Marine Biology.