Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne
Type of Job
EDV & Informatics
Job Offer from September 13, 2017
The Max Planck Institute of Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) in Cologne, Germany, is one of the world’s premier sites committed to research of fundamental processes and training in plant biology using a wide range of methods including molecular genetics, genomics, imaging, computational biology and biochemistry. The MPIPZ accommodates four science departments, the Genome Centre Cologne, several independent research groups and specialist support, totaling ca. 400 staff members including externally funded positions.
We seek an experienced and motivated IT–Manager for the earliest possible date.
- Management of the IT service group (6 people) incl. coordination of requests and orders
- Planning, conception and development of a powerful and modern IT infrastructure
- Planning of our Institute’s general computing environment, including the core network and cross-institute coordination of computer connections
- Responsibility for IT security at our Institute, including redundant firewall
- Support and development of the local computer clusters and network
- Responsibility for the efficient and proper provision of a powerful and modern IT infrastructure
- Support and development of our central storage systems (SAN technologies)
- Problem analysis and troubleshooting in the entire server and desktop computing environment (MacOS, Linux, Windows), including network
- Database environments
- High computing performance
- Continual market observation and analysis of the IT sector in order to implement science-oriented IT concepts as well as planning and implementation of the IT budget
- Participation in the activities within the MPGs IT community
- Coordination of all IT procurement activities at the Institute, including applications for funds and expert support in tendering
- Cooperation with our Bioinformaticians and the linked cluster
- Advanced degree in computer science or equivalent qualification
- Very good knowledge of the concept, design and operation of heterogeneous IT landscapes
- Several years of professional experience, ideally in a scientific environment
- Sound knowledge of current server operating systems (Windows, UNIX, LINUX)
- Experience in network technologies (virtual networks, routers, firewalls)
- A high degree of security awareness and user friendliness
- Good knowledge of the English language for communication in an international research environment and for negotiations and presentations
We are looking for
- An open-minded, motivated person with a high degree of service and team orientation, as well as great communication skills, can-do spirit, assertiveness and planning competence
- Support in the conception, planning and implementation of science-related IT and flexibility to support and enable research activity.
- Possibilities to expand a modern service desk with latest IT technologies
- A high degree of responsibility in a top-level and challenging international scientific work environment
- A highly motivated team with modern tools and approaches
- an attractive setting in a new and friendly work environment, an ambitious team, excellent infrastructure, as well as interesting and varied tasks
Initially, the contract is limited to two years with possibility of further extension and becoming permanent after successful evaluation. Candidates with permanent positions are also asked to apply and will be considered accordingly. Your salary will be based on your qualification and experience and follow recommendations of TVÖD. Social benefits correspond with those of the public service.
The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore explicitly invited to apply. The Max Planck Society is striving to employ more severely handicapped persons; they are explicitly invited to apply.
Full and comprehensive applications are accepted until the vacancy is filled. Please send your application in a single pdf file to email@example.com. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research